We can help you find and compare minibus insurance quickly and easily .

Start Your Quote NOW


Minibuses are multi-purpose vehicles that are used for a number of driving jobs – whether it’s a school run, bussing a sports team to their games or as part of charity advertising at big events.

Minibuses are also used for the purpose of hire-and-reward. Taxi companies often use them to transport larger groups home at the end of a night out in city centres, or to transport holidaymakers from their houses to airport departures. Because they are classified in a different group to regular cars and minicabs they may not be covered under a typical taxi insurance policy.

What can affect my minibus insurance?

Like regular car insurance, there are several factors which also apply to slightly larger vehicles:

  • Driver age and experience

    As with regular car insurance, drivers under the age of 25 are perceived to be in a higher risk category due to their inexperience. However, by driving carefully and accumulating some No Claims Bonus you can help yourself in future by reducing your risk factor.

    If you are a fleet owner you’ll know it’ll be more expensive to insure younger drivers when it comes to insurance. By ensuring all your drivers are properly qualified and careful on the road you can help keep the cost of your taxi fleet insurance low.

  • Mileage

    Depending on how many miles you cover in a year can affect your insurance premium. So whether you’re using your minibus from occasional trips on holiday, for a daily commute or for getting your team from clubhouse to playing field throughout the season, be as accurate as you can when looking for a quote.

  • Primary Purpose

    If you’re using the minibus as a general runaround vehicle, or for the transportation of a large family or those which may have needs such as wheelchair access, you’re likely to put your use as Social, Domestic and Pleasure on your minibus insurance policy.

    If you are using your minibus for the purpose of a hire-and-reward taxi service, you’ll need specialist taxi insurance, otherwise you may be able to insure larger vehicles using a van insurance policy. Speak to your broker during the quotation stage for more information on the right classification of insurance for your needs.

  • Security

    Minibuses and their contents can be susceptible to theft, especially if you carry valuable items such as electronics and expensive sports equipment, so ensuring your vehicle is insured can help you to recoup some of the costs incurred as a result of accidents and theft.

    Fitting security devices such as alarms and wheel locks can help drive down the cost of your premium by helping to reduce the risk factor.

Do I need a special licence to drive a minibus?

Minibuses and Multi-Purpose Vehicles (MPVs) may also be used by larger families as part of their daily routine. Depending on how many seats the vehicle has will affect the type of licence you need to drive it, especially if you have a vehicle which can carry nine or more passengers.

If you’re using the minibus to taxi members of the public, either working for a taxi firm or as a teacher transporting students to and from field trips, then you’ll need to hold a PCV D1 licence in order to drive vehicles with more than nine seats.

Essentially in order to qualify for PCV D1 entitlement you’ll need to meet the following criteria:

  • Be over 21 years old
  • Have held a UK driving licence for at least two years
  • Have passed your driving test from 1997 onwards
  • The vehicle is no heavier than 3.5 tonnes; or 4.25 tonnes in the case of vehicles with specialist equipment for disabled passangers, i.e. wheelchair ramps and hoists
  • You’re driving on a voluntary basis, with the vehicle being used for social purposes by non-commercial organisations
  • The vehicle does not tow a trailer
  • If you’re over 70 years old you must meet an additional list of medical conditions (Group 2) in order to prove you’re fit to drive. Speak to your GP for an assessment

You can find out more about your current licence entitlement in our What Type of Licence Do I Need? guide.

Here at Quotiva we can help you find a better deal on your minibus insurance. Pop in a few details and we’ll search our network of brokers to help find a quote to suit you.


Fill in the form and we can arrange cover in just a few minutes
Get your quote now