Van Insurance
Get van insurance quickly and easily - if you use your van for business purposes or even as a private vehicle, we can help you find stress-free quotes ...
We're authorised and regulated by the FCA. Find out more about QUOTIVA and our broker network.
Get your van insurance quote comparison today, just click the red button

"I have found a hugely cheaper quote than my renewal, I am absolutely delighted" P.Macnally (Truro)

"Quick, friendly and efficient" T.Reilly (Birmingham)

If you're on this page it's likely that you own a van and are looking for cheap van insurance. We are able to help van drivers find cover that is right for them and as your enquiry will be passed to a panel of expert commercial vehicle brokers, you are able to compare and contrast quotes, picking the cover that best suits your needs.

However, for those who are new to the world of commercial vehicles, we'll answer a few frequently asked questions...

What is Van insurance?

Van insurance is generally cover for a commercial vehicle for use on UK roads, with a gross weight of up to 7.5 tonnes. Most often small businesses use vans to carry around equipment from job to job -- this is called carriage of owns good cover. This could include electricians, builders, carpenters, home decorators and many other tradesman who need to take equipment with them wherever they go.

Increasingly, as vans are becoming more and more fuel efficient and smaller vans are becoming more space-economic business owners are also using their van as a run-around vehicle too. If this is the case these drivers will also ask for social, domestic and pleasure use as well as their standard business use cover.

Finally, there are van drivers that carry the goods of others for reward -- these drivers are called couriers. If you are looking for courier cover, please visit our specific courier insurance page, which contains specific advice and information.

What passes for a van these days?

  • Small Vans -- There are various small/light vans on the market as well as vans derived from standard cars such as the Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Doblo or the Vauxhall Combo, Ford Fiest Van, Renault Kangoo etc.
  • Medium Vans -- These include the popular Ford Transit and Mercedes Vito, as well as the Vauxhall Vivaro and Peugeot Expert.
  • Large Vans -- These van are typically taller and longer than the standard van and include models such as the LDV Maxus, Renault Master, Fiat Ducato and Iveco Daily. Great for drivers that need the extra space in the back!

What to look out for in my van insurance policy?

When you're looking for commercial vehicle insurance, it's likely that you're looking for the policy that offers you the most protection for the lowest cost. There are ways to get a cheaper cover -- you just have to have a little know how!

First things first, as with all motor policies age of driver/drivers can make a large impact to the cost of your policy. Drivers under the age of 25 usually cost more in insure due to being a statistically larger risk on the road. If you can avoid anyone under the age of 25 driving your van it can help to lower the cost of your cover. Equally, avoiding unnecessary modifications to your van can help to you to save money on your insurance cover -- adding expensive wheels and trim to your van will increase the risk of theft and thus the cost of your cover.

Having plenty of No Claims Bonus is a great way of receiving a discount on your van insurance premium. Of course, this isn't easy if you've just started driving a van. This is where mirroring your NCB can help. If you have lots of built up claims discount on your private car policy, let your van broker know as it's likely you will be able to pass this over to you commercial vehicle policy.

Is there additional cover I should look out for?

It's well worth speaking to your van insurance broker about additional cover options, as many brokers can offer more comprehensive cover where it's needed.

For example, would you like breakdown cover and a courtesy car. If so, ask if your broker can arrange this for you. Using a van for business purposes usually means that to be without you van can have a huge impact to your work and the number of jobs you can take. Here are some other policy options that may be on offer:

  • Tools Cover

If you rely on tools for work then you could be in an awkward spot should your equipment be damaged. Tools cover will protect your tools from theft and damage, preventing you from being out of pocked should the untoward happen.

  • Liability Insurance

These days public liability insurance (PL) is a must. PL can protect you from claims made by third parties relating to material or bodily damage. If you employ staff you will also need to look at Employer's Liability Insurance. EL cover will prevent you from claims made by staff who may have fallen ill or experienced an injury whilst on the job.

  • Goods in Transit Insurance

Goods in transit cover will protect your goods or a third party's goods from theft and damage whilst in transportation.

That covers most of what you need to know about van insurance. It's important to remember to discuss your commercial vehicle cover with your broker in great detail to make sure you're adequately protected.